Dealing with tax preparation is not for everyone. It is much easier to use a trusted tax preparation consulting company. Although there are tax preparation software tools and online services available, some situations (like owning your own business) are more complicated than these tools are really designed for. In these cases, one should choose a licensed professional.
An enrolled agent is a person who is officially allowed to do tax preparation consulting and to represent taxpayers before the Internal Revenue Service. To become an Enrolled Agent, one has to complete a 3-part test which is centered on taxation and ethics. This type of expert can be trusted to professionally prepare your tax return.
How to Find the Right Tax Preparation Consulting Specialist?
Here is a check list what is important when choosing a tax preparer:
- Check to see if the preparer is authorized. According to the law all paid tax return preparers must have a Preparer Tax Identification Number (PTIN).
- Check out the history of your tax preparer. Always check if the preparer or the company has a questionable history with the Better Business Bureau. It is better to work with a trusted tax preparation consulting
- What are the service fees? The preparer’s fee should not be based on a percentage of your refund. Also, do not choose preparers who claim they could obtain larger refunds than their colleagues.
- Successful communication. This is an important factor when having your tax return made by someone else. You have to be able to contact the person who prepared your tax return even after it has been filed.
- Refuse to sign a blank return. If your tax preparer wants you to sign a blank tax form, never agree on this. And look for someone else as this demonstrates a sketchy way of doing business.
- Review before signing. The professional tax preparer needs you review your tax return, before signing it. You should be able to ask questions if you have any.
- A signature and PTIN. The tax preparer has to sign the form and to fill in the preparer tax identification number. You should be given a copy of the return.
If you fall into a more complicated tax situation, use the services of an enrolled agent. Here at The Balance Sheet, we have served the greater Palm Beach area in Florida for years and our enrolled agents have the experience and expertise to do right by you. Contact us for more information.