A Certified Acceptance Agent is a person, business or organization authorized by the Internal Revenue Service to assist individuals who do not qualify to receive a Social Security Number but need to be able to pay income tax. These individuals are often foreign employees working in the United States. A CAA helps them be able to work legally here by helping them get the necessary tax documents filed and secure an ITIN (Individual Tax Identification Number).

Here are 4 ways a CAA can help you:

1.  Obtain an ITIN

As a foreign employee working for a United States Company, you are required to file a United States Federal Income Tax Return and possibly a State Income Tax Return. To do so you must have an ITIN. If you do not have and ITIN, a CAA (certified acceptance agent) can help you obtain one. This involves filing a form W-7, Application for IRS Individual Taxpayer Identification Number. The CAA can prepare your application and can certify your records to ensure your application is processed correctly and completely the first time.

2.  Authenticate your identity for the IRS

As part of the process for obtaining your ITIN, your identification papers will need to be reviewed and authenticated. The CAA knows exactly what documents you need and can certify them as authentic. Also, an added benefit of using a CAA is that you can send certified copies of documents, instead of originals. With an AA (acceptance agent) you will still need to send your original documents with your application.

3.  Submit your supporting documentation

The IRS needs to know who you are, where you are from and about your family as well. You need to provide documentation that the IRS deems acceptable to prove who you are and where you are from. If the IRS does not accept your documentation, you will not be issued an ITIN. A CAA is authorized by the IRS to examine your documents and submit a Certificate of Accuracy (COA) along with your documents. The IRS will accept this as proof.

4.  File a tax return

The documents you need to provide will vary depending on several factors. Filing a tax return can be stressful and complicated. Errors on your tax return can delay a refund or even put you at risk for an audit. Many CAAs also prepare tax returns. We recommend you get help from a CAA.

Are you still wondering how a Certified Acceptance Agent can help you?
Contact us for a free consultation at (561) 842-1304.